Vantan Design Institute is proactively accepting international students to provide opportunities for people from outside Japan to learn Japan's latest design.
Since its foundation in 1965, Vantan Design Institute has maintained a policy of "providing job ready skills by professionals," first class instructors who work as designers in the field, rather than by ordinary teachers.
This is because only world leading designers who are acutely aware of changing trends will be needed in the future.
"Learning from professionals to become a professional." This is Vantan Design Institute's trademark.
All Vantan classes are limited to small number of students so that every student can be taught according to their individualities.
Vantan Design Institute's various departments offer appealing "sessions."
In the sessions, students from different departments who aim to become specialists in their fields work in teams to create in the same manner as professionals.
You will meet companions who may become your work partners in the future. This opportunity will create a unique network for you in Japan.
Every year,more than 550 projyect as a real job are offered to Vantan.Only Vantan with its strong connections to the industry can realize many collaboration projects with business corporations.
- Ｑ When did you start accepting overseas students?
- Vantan Design Institute started enrolling overseas students since April 2010.
- Ｑ How many overseas students are there per class？
- There are approximately 1-3 overseas students in each class.
- Ｑ How many teachers are there per class？
- Approximately 6-8 teachers run each class. All teachers are working professionals in their particular field. Students can learn from fashion designers who work in Tokyo along with famous celebrity hair and make up artists.
- Ｑ Are there study rooms or work spaces in the school facility？
- Yes. Study rooms, work spaces, and open classrooms are available for students. Sewing machines, photo-shooting studio, and computers are also provided.
- Ｑ Are there any staff that speak foreign languages？
- We have staff that speak English, Chinese, and Korean. Classes are taught in Japanese, so it is important for students to learn and communicate in Japanese in their daily life. If there are any serious problems during your period of study, you will be able to consult a staff that speaks your native language.
- Ｑ How much would living expenses cost in Japan？
- Living expenses range from individual to individual, but a rough total of 80,000yen ~ 150,000yen per month is estimated. Rent is around 40,000yen ~ 70,000yen, utility bills are 5,000yen ~ 10,000yen, food expenses are around 20,000yen ~ 30,000yen, phone/ internet bills cost 5,000yen, transportation costs 8,000yen ~ 10,000yen.
- Ｑ Can someone recommend me a place to live？
- We can introduce you to dorms, apartments, and student residences. Please contact us for more detail.
- Ｑ Does Vantan Design Institute offer student visas？
- Vantan Design Institute’s stable management and job performance has been evaluated by the Japanese government, and was approved as the first private educational institution of design to accept foreign students. You can also get a student visa for longer courses that run 1 ̃ 3 years.
- Ｑ Can overseas students get part-time jobs in Japan？
- If you want to work part-time, the Immigration Bureau requires you to fill out an application of "Permission to Engage in Activity Other than that Permitted by the Status of Residence Previously Granted". Once accepted, you can work up to 28 hours a week.
- Ｑ Please tell me how I can transfer the tuition.
- After passing the entrance exam, make a bank transfer of the admission fee within two weeks. Once the visa application is authorized, transfer the remaining balance. *Those who already have a visa to stay in Japan can transfer the remaining balance within 3 weeks after payment of admission fee. *The school is not responsible for any extra bank charges
- Ｑ Can I get a refund if I quit school？
- Although we do not refund examination and entrance fees, we refund the course fee in which you haven't attended yet on monthly basis.
- Ｑ Does tuition include teaching material fees？
- No, it doesn't. Please ask us how much the teaching material fees would be because they are varied on courses.
You can use LINE to interview with Vantan Design Institute if you want to know more about us. We also have staff who can respond in all languages, so please inquire about any misgivings, questions, or the like you may have.
The themes and concepts of each project are chosen at school before students proceed to styling. In Japan, the level of freedom and sensitivity are high, so students can learn many ways to express themselves. After graduating from Vantan, I want to talk about Japanese fashion with people from overseas.
Yang Chun Ya
I enjoy a photo shooting class the most. It is sometimes difficult to express an idea through styling and explain it verbally, but it's worthwhile. I want to produce an apparel store in the future.
I have been interested in Japanese Visual-kei bands and Gothic Lolita fashion for a long time. Vantan not only provides the basics of design and styling, but it also gives students professional opportunities to learn how to work in the industry. I hope to become a stylist in the P.V. industry in the near future.
Hair Makeup Department.
I decided to come to Vantan to learn regular makeup as well as extensive genres in makeup because there are a wide variety of courses you can choose from.
Since all instructors here are active professionals, I gradually understand how makeup is constructed, which seems to be difficult at first.
I think that comparing to the world, the Japanese fashion scene is segmented into meticulously small categories, such as Gal-kei, Harajuku-kei, Lolita, and so on.
There sometimes tough time for me, but all instructors and school staff are very helpful.
Hair Makeup Department.
I entered Vantan because I was attracted to the education policy and overall atmosphere of the school. We can have access to new information and knowledge in the Hair and Make up industry from lecturers who are active in the field. I'm hoping to spread what I learned in Japan to the beauty salon business in Thailand.
Three major projects enable you to debut even while you are in school.
Only classes with designers active in the field can meet the requirements of the industry.
Based on experiences at Vantan, you can conduct more effective job hunting even after you go back to your country.
Only Vantan with its strong connections to the industry can realize collaboration with business corporations. The project covers all areas such as product development, photography training and advertising design.
02. Vantan's Cutting Edge
This is Vantan's biggest show and exhibition where superior students who pass the school screening can participate and make presentations to industry participants.
03. Vantan Tokyo
This is an exhibition to provide students with an opportunity to make a global debut. The event was held in Paris and New York in the past. Students have presented their work to world top class buyers and press people and made their debut.